I wanted to make this update a few weeks ago but I stalled and stalled and just you know I’m exactly two weeks away from my wedding! Ahhhhh!
This is going to be the last wedding update before my big day. I am super excited to talk about my wedding preparation like where I got this and that so I decided to make a blog wedding series where I talk about everything from my ‘nikah’ dress, reception dresses, makeup, doorgifts, e v e r y t h i n g. So stay tuned for that!
I can’t believe that I’ll be someone’s wife in a fortnight. My wedding day is something that I’ve been dreaming about since high school. I’ve always wondered who’d I marry and when would I get married because although I’m marrying my high school sweetheart, we did not come from 10 years ago through and through. We parted ways, met other people, had completely different lives and somehow we found our way back together and the rest is history.
We survived five years of parting ways and then three years of long distance relationship; he was studying in the UK and I am here in Malaysia. I won’t say that everything is smooth-sailing from the get-go because it’s not. We are both complicated, he’s-black-and-I’m-white type of person and sometimes we don’t agree on things but being able to survive three years of living in different timezones just trumped all of our differences. I’ve always known that no matter how far I wander, I will always come back to him. It took me a lot of years to realise that but hey, sometimes you have to be apart so you can be close again and I think that’s what happened to us. Those 5 years taught both of us (or at least me) about what I wanted out of a relationship that I may not know hadn’t we been separated. Although I wished we had gotten married a few years earlier, God knows we weren’t ready yet and I couldn’t be happier that I’m at the right state of mind right now – mentally and emotionally – to get married and build a new life with my soon-to-be husband.
Okay. So let’s talk preparation!
- My solemnisation dress was ready last week and I loved it so much! It’s simple, it’s everything I could dream of but I may have to take it back to my tailor because one of the stones fell off so I need to get that fixed. When I got it measured in late August, I was a tiny bit heavier then so the dress was kind of loose which I think is okay but do you think I should get it altered?
- I will have to get my henna done the morning of my solemnisation. I hope I can still be calm and composed because sis is on a rush!
- Doorgift! My brother will have to go and get it a day before my solemnisation because there’s no way in hell I’m paying 70 ringgit for a delivery service.
- I still need to book a cake for my ‘hantaran’ and send all of my fiancé’s things to be made into ‘hantaran’.
- I’m hiring other people to do the ‘sirih junjung’ because the person who does my hantaran is not available during my wedding day and I need fresh flowers for it.
- I need to reconfirm with my bridal boutique about my makeup artist.
Everything else related to the solemnisation ceremony is done, I think.
- I’ve picked a dress but I need to reconfirm and get it tailored to my measurement.
- I use the same company for both solemnisation and reception so my brother will get the door gift for reception as well.
- I may need to buy a new hijab to go with my wedding dress.
- I can’t wait for my reception makeup artist to do my makeup!
I guess that’s it! Some loose ends need to be tightened here and there but I think my wedding is coming together pretty well. I hope everything goes as planned so wish me luck on my wedding guys! See you on my next wedding update after I’ve become a wife!! xx